Saturday, March 31, 2012

Stingray Bay at the Toronto Zoo

Yesterday I started a new job at the Toronto Zoo. Well actually I've just returned to an old job that happens to be a seasonal contract position-assistant exhibit supervisor at Stingray Bay. It's by far the best job I've ever had, and I'm happy to be back.

The exhibit houses cownose rays, southern rays, nurse sharks, bonnet head sharks, white spotted bamboo sharks, and sometimes horseshoe crabs. We didn't get horseshoe crabs last year, but I would love to work with them this time around.

The appeal of the exhibit is that visitors get to interact with the animals in a way they wouldn't normally get the opportunity to do. At Stingray Bay visitors can touch the animals and hand feed the stingrays.

The animals live in an uncovered 17, 000 gallon saltwater pool. My job is to maintain this pool, and take care of the animals that live in it. Right now we're setting up all the plumbing and equipment, cleaning up the exhibit, and filling the pool with water.


We've got to get everything up and running for when the exhibit opens to the public on May 1st. Stay tuned for updates, info, and photographs!

3 comments:

Nicholas said...

Congratulations on the position! The Stingrays are very happy!

Dr. Muzzi said...

Exciting times!

Carly said...

Yay I can't wait to visit with my baby-folk!!! xo

Post a Comment